What is the happiest age for a person?

What is the happiest age for a person?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

The Last Person to Stand--my short story


The last person to stand:

The dungeon was cold and was made with damp rocks, water flowing through the cracks and dripping on the floor, making sudden ripples of pools on the ground and the sound reverberating inside the dungeon. George was walking to and fro, anxious as he was, his hands were clasped behind his back and his clothes were shaggy and torn.
“Please help me, somebody please help me….”, he cried out to the dark corners of the dungeons, his voice deeply echoing in the empty tunnel, giving a grotesque effect to the whole scene. A mobile lay near him, the battery was drained off and it was switched off, he had made the last call to his cousin brother Robert telling to help him; he told he was trapped in a dungeon underneath somewhere in Italy, he was not able to say which one, the battery had drained and the mobile switched  off. He was sure his cousin would find him, but he was becoming desperate in the dungeon.
On the far end of the dungeon, there was a portrait on which was painted the dungeon, the central portion of the portrait was empty with little shade colouring as if it had to be completed later. George came and took his painting brush, he was about to do 2 strokes on the portrait, but thought of something and kept the brush down. He couldn’t draw the portrait, he needed some help. He needed Robert’s arrival and his escape from the dungeon.
A movement was heard on the other side, George silently listened to that, he was accustomed to the movements of rats inside the dungeon, but this sound was not feeble, but steady footsteps.
“Help me”, George cried out. A man in his early twenties came running towards George. He looked deeply worried by the looks of George
“Robert, you came at last, I thought I would be wasted here”, George was crying while he hugged Robert, the other man who came in to the dungeon.
Robert:”How did you get trapped here, were you preparing to do a portrait, I thought it would take me ages to discover where you are?” he looked at the portrait on the far end of the room.
George:” Yes, kind of my masterpieces it will be. The one painting you did in Venice is really praise worthy, many say they are better than the ones I have done in Florence. It was great indeed to hear that.”
Robert:”It was you who turned me in to a painter. Talents that can match with you are no longer in this world, am just a mere artist.”
George:” Humbleness is your greatest attribute. I wanted to give you a present for rescuing me from this dungeon.”
Robert:” What present?”
George took his golden coated brush from inside his robes and showed Robert. It was the most elegant and magnificent brush that George used for selected paintings he did for chapels or select personalities. No one was ever given the brush due to its uniqueness, the fine strokes they provide and the overall elegance and comfort in using the brush.
George:” Will you accept this my present?”
Robert:”Well, yes, I can definitely use this for the Assumption of Madonna, Looks from heaven painting am doing. It’s really nice of you to provide me this.”
George pointed the brush to Robert who gently moved forward to take the brush; suddenly a knife appeared in the other hand of George which he plunged in to the neck of Robert. Robert was awe-struck, blood flowing continuously from the wound, while he clutched his neck in disbelief and fell to the floor, shivering and asking:”Why?”
George began to laugh, as if he was mad:” It was I who taught you how to use colours and paints, but you tend to overshadow me. People say once you complete the Madonna, I won’t be needed by anyone as all will be following you. I can’t allow this. Twenty years it has been, I got the glory as the one who came to replace Da Vinci and Botticelli, the one who can make Michelangelo a run for his money, but you came and you think you can replace me, the one who created Venus: the beauty of a flower and Hades and Poseidon? This will be my masterpiece portrait: The last person to stand: Murder in the dungeon, I will draw this picture of your murder with this brush and will regain the lost glory I had. I will be the last to stand in the glory of Italian painters and your name will be forgotten.”
Robert closed his eyes and his breathing stopped, while George dipped the brush slightly in the blood and mixed it with his paint and moved forwards to complete his masterpiece portrait.

No comments: